Friday, June 22, 2012

Jicama Fries

We recently discovered a new yummy way to eat jicama... cooking it! I thought it would be gross since jicama seems like such a fresh, crunchy thing that I thought if you cooked it, it would be nasty. WRONG! It still retains some crunch and the cooking brings out the sweetness in it and makes it super yummy. I think I like it cooked better than fresh!



So... here's an easy-peasy recipe for jicama fries - great for snacking or as a side dish.

Ingredients:
1 jicama
Coconut oil, melted (enough to cover a skillet with about a ½ inch of oil)
Sea salt to taste

Instructions:
Peel the jicama. Cut in half, and then in slices. Cut the slices into strips (think french fries). Heat the coconut oil in a large heavy skillet until piping hot - when it starts to smoke a little bit and/or "pop." Put in enough of the jicama so that all the pieces can be submerged in the oil (be careful - the oil is HOT!). Let it fry until the jicama turns crispy and brown, stirring occasionally, around 5-10 minutes (depends on how thinly you sliced your jicama). When they are crisped to your satisfaction, fish them out with a slotted spoon or spatula and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Add more jicama to the oil and repeat the process till you're finished!


7 comments:

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

I must try this next week!

Hannah

Rose said...

So, is this a limited or unlimited food? I've never heard of jicama but I'm searching for new things to eat on this diet.

Candida Cooking said...

Rose - no limits on jicama! Enjoy! :-)

Rose said...

That's great! And can the oil be re0used afterwards or do I need to throw it out?

Candida Cooking said...

Rose - Umm... I think I would throw it out. It gets kind of brown and nasty looking when you're done!

Anonymous said...

First of all, congratulations on creating a very interesting blog on Candida. I’m reaching out to a few Candida bloggers to let you know about an infographic we just created, and I thought it would be a good fit for your readers.

You can see the infographic here:
http://www.candidastore.com/guide-to-candida-infographic/

There is some code below the infographic that you can use to post it to your blog. It’s really easy, completely free and should take only a few seconds. All I ask is that you keep the links to the Candida Store that are included in the code.

Let me know what you think!

Anna
The Candida Store

Unknown said...

I made these tonight and loved them (with enough salt that is). Even my 5 yr old loved them. Thanks for making the candida diet bearable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 Candida Cooking. All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com