Saturday, July 3, 2010

All-American Apple Pie

Apple pie is probably one of the icons of America. :-) And it's also my dad's all time favorite dessert (well, that and a good ol' Dairy Queen Blizzard). Since the DQ Blizzard is totally out of the question on the candida diet, that leaves the more probable option of the two. Since tomorrow is Independence Day, you might want to try this one out!

RECIPE NOTES: This is a limit food. Do not eat this all the time. :-) I will admit that when I made this I cheated and used regular butter. However, you can use ghee or coconut oil (ghee has a more savory flavor so since this is a dessert you might want to try the coconut oil).
Xanthan Gum is a candida-safe elasticizer. Because you'll be using a gluten-free flour, it will tend to want to crumble. Xanthan Gum is used to help hold it together. 
Stevia has a strong aftertaste, so use less and then add more if needed.



Ingredients:
Filling
4 cups or more sliced Granny Smith apples
2 Tbsp. to scant ¼ cup powdered stevia
½ tsp. xanthan gum
¼ tsp. salt
Juice of ½ a lemon (or 2-3 Tbsp.)
Cinnamon, to taste

Crust
¼ cup cool water
2 cups buckwheat flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 cup coconut oil or ghee
¼ tsp. salt

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine stevia, xanthan gum and salt in a small bowl. Peel and slice apples, tossing as you go with a spoonful of the stevia mixture and a squeeze of lemon juice, until you have used it all. Add cinnamon.

For the crust, remove 1/3 cup flour from the 2 cups and mix the 1/3 cup in a bowl with the ¼ cup cool water, until it forms a paste. In a large bowl, cut the coconut oil (or ghee) into the remaining flour and salt with a pastry blender or fork. Mixture should be crumbly. Mix in xanthan gum. Add the paste to the flour/oil mixture and stir using the back of a fork (or a dough hook on a kitchen mixer) until dough forms a ball.

Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Heavily flour rolling surface and rolling pin. Roll out bottom crust to 1/8 inch thick; place in a 9-inch pie plate (if you find that your crust is crumbling, you can adjust the amount of xanthan gum and/or add a touch of water until it sticks together). Fill with apple filling. Roll out top crust, place on top and crimp edge with a fork. Pierce the top of the pie a dozen times.

Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake another 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting.

As you see, I made my top crust a lattice crust. Either way works!

12 comments:

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Yeah! An update!
We will have to try this recipe.....we have alot of stevia!

Hannah

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Yum! By looking at it nobody could tell there was anything gluten free about it.


Esther

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reba said...

I would it if you had an RSS feed on your blog. I find it is the easiest way for me to be reminded of the things I love.

Thanks,
Reba

Candida Cooking said...

Reba - There should be an RSS feed button up in your URL line. I will add one to the sidebar, though, if that is easier for you!

Anonymous said...

i tried this recipe and it was a disaster. i'm pretty sure that i followed it exact. i used coconut oil in place of the butter. my pastry, even prior to cooking, came out nearly black. then it felt as though i had bitten into dry sand. this is my first attempt at buckwheat flour, so i'm not sure if it was the flour, me or the recipe.

any suggestions?

Candida Cooking said...

Anonymous - I'm so sorry it didn't work out well for you! I am not sure what would cause the pastry to turn almost black unless it was the flour. I know when I made mine it was more gritty than a traditional wheat flour crust, but not that bad, so I'm guessing a sandy texture would also be due to the flour itself not being very fine. What brand of buckwheat flour did you buy?

Anonymous said...

it was some organic buckwheat from a locally owned health food store. it was bulk, so i'm not sure of the brand. would it work if i substituted that buckwheat for almond? and left out the xanthan?

Candida Cooking said...

Anonymous - I have not tried it with almond flour, so I'm not sure. :-) Almond flour does tend to be more crumbly (better for a crumb crust that gets pressed into a pan vs. rolled out for the top). You might try this recipe (I haven't tried this before but given that the recipe states it forms a ball I would think it would be fairly roll-able):
http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-tart-crust/
(this is not a candida-specific site, but this recipe is ok for candida in limited amounts).
Hope that helps!

Jim & Desi Curry said...

I have used brown rice flour to make the crust and I have used butter instead of coconut flour (I know it's not the healthiest but I eat it at most 3 times per year) and it turned out great. 2 cups of whole grain brown rice flour Bob Red Mill and 1 stick of butter and added 2 TBS of water.
Make a ball and put in a plastic bag and refrigerate for a while. It was hard to knead but I did it! Tasted great!
I asked my doctor about the butter and he told me I could have it in limited amounts preferably avoid it.
I have been on a modified candida diet for the last year.
So my body can tell when I eat something I shouldn't eat and I get sick. This is a treat for special occasions like my b-day, thanksgiving and Christmas.

Candida Cooking said...

Thanks for the input, Jim/Desi! I'm glad that worked for you!

Candida Cooking said...

Thanks for the input, Jim/Desi! Glad it worked out for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 Candida Cooking. All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com